Leading up to the big profile fights coming up next month; this week’s matches were more of contenders and upcoming prospects except for a title fight between Merlito Sabillo against Francisco Rodriquez Jr.in the strawweight division.
Francisco Rodriguez Jr. KO10 Merlito Sabillo, Strawweights
In the get-go Mexican challenger Francisco Rodriquez Jr. (14-2, 10 KO’s) set the tune of the fight bombarding the previously unbeaten, Merlito Sabillo, now dropped his record to 23 wins 1 loss 1 draw and 12 knockouts, with overwhelming volume of punches to the head and body of the champion.
There’s no room for the champion to breath and in the tenth round Sabillo’s corner pulled the plug. Trainer Edito Villamor stepped in, which opted referee Eddie Claudio to stopped the contest.
Prior to the stoppage it is evident that an upset is inevitable as Rodriguez scored twin knockdown in the second round, although the second knockdown was ruled out a slip. Sabillo survived the first knockdown and able to beat the count but look fragile as he hit the canvas again.
With Sabillo’s defeat, boxing world champions from the Philippines now reduced to two — Donnie Nietes and John Riel Casimero.
In November, Sabillo escaped a draw and retained his title against Carlos Buitrago of Nicaragua.
Here are the notable fight results this week.
- Anselmo Moreno UD12 Javier Chacon, Bantamweights
- Hugo Ruiz KO1 Ramon Maas, Bantamweights
- Juan Carlos Reveco KO2 Manuel Vides, Flyweights
- Humberto Soto UD10 Juan Carlos Abreu, Junior Welterweights
- Anthony Peterson MD10 Marcos Jimenez, Lightweights
- Felix Verdejo KO3 Juan Santiago, Lightweights
- Luis Cruz UD5 Carlos Velazquez, Lightweights
- Michael Farenas TKO 2 Hector Velazquez, Junior Lightweights
- Tony Thompson SD 12 Odlanier Solis, Heavyweights
- Vanes Martirosyan UD 10 Mario Alberto Lozano, Middleweights
- Vivian Harris MD 10 Jorge Paez Jr., Welterweights
- Teerachai Kratingdaenggym TKO 7 Behzod Nabiev, Welterweights
Do you have something to add? Feel free to add that result in the comment box below.